Tuesday, August 12, 2014


Green gel turned to white foam as he lathered his wet cheek. Steam rose from the sink full of hot water. The hum of the fan above him hid her footfalls as she padded up behind him. He caught her reflection in the mirror and smiled.

“What're you doing?” he asked?

“You know I love to watch you shave, “ she smiled back and cocked her eyebrow in reply.

She noticed beads of water on his back as he turned to the mirror and lifted the razor to his face. He pulled it downward, deftly and carefully, a long practiced move, from his ear toward his jawline. He repeated the process on the other side of his face before turning the razor toward his neck. Finishing with his chin and upper lip he splashed cold water on his face and let the dirty water run from the sink. She was still watching him.

She had been leaning on the wall behind him, and seeing that he was finished, reached for his shoulder to turn him toward her. He expected a kiss, but instead, she pulled his ear toward her and whispered, “I have a surprise for you. Clean up and come with me.”

She turned to go and he quickly cleaned his mess in the sink, pulled on a pair of sweat pants, and followed her to their living room. An envelope sat in the middle of floor. She stood in front it.

He walked forward and reached for her but she stepped back. Confused, he stood in place and asked, “So? What's in the envelope?”

She raised her hand to her lips, cocked her eyebrow playfully, and giggled.

“You don't know?” she asked.

He set his hands on his hips and looked at her. His brow furrowed as he thought.

“Don't do that, “ she said, “You're thinking too hard.”

He bent over to pick it up and she playfully nudged it out of his reach with her bare toe.

“Not yet, “ she said.

“Not yet? “ he asked.

“Nope, “ her reply.

Then, hopefully “Do I have to earn it?” he asked.

“Oh, you've already earned it, “ she giggled again.

His hands returned to his hips and his brow furrowed again. He hated not knowing, still, he was very patient. He turned, sat on the sofa, and crossed his legs. He folded his arms and said, “OK, I can wait.”

“No! “ she said crossing the room to sit at his side, but careful not to step on the tiny package, “Don't do that. I want you to see what's in the envelope. I was just teasing you.” She kissed his cheek.
She climbed off of the couch, retrieved the envelope, and sat on his lap, straddling him.

“Here, “she said, “Open it.” Her eyes were moist.

They had met as a matter of circumstance. The merest hint of fall was in the air as they were introduced by a mutual acquaintance. They parted congenially and were pleasantly surprised to meet again a month later. Conversation led to mutual interest. Mutual interest led to time well spent. Time well spent led them to the same house, each other's care and worries effortlessly intertwined.

He held the envelope in his hands and traced the edges with his fingers. “Should I be nervous?” he asked.

“Nope,” her reply.

“Ok, “ he said and tore the edge off the small piece of clear tape that held the flap in place. He opened the envelope and looked inside. Shifting his gaze and looking her directly in her eyes he asked, “What am I supposed to do with this?”

She met his gaze, “You know what to do.”

“Get off my lap,” he said.

She scooted off his lap, and, looking confused said, “I don't understand.”

She closed her eyes and tried to fight the tears. Why had her surprise backfired? All she wanted was to love him and be loved by him. She opened her eyes as the first tears began to trace lines down her cheeks.

He was on his knee in front of her. He reached forward and took her hand.

“I love you,” he said, “I have always loved you. You have not become a part of my life as much as my reason for living. I am not myself without you. I never want to live a day without you at my side. So, if I accept this ring, will you marry me?”

She nodded her head and her tears became those of joy. He slipped the ring that she had bought him out of the envelope and onto his finger. She sunk to her knees next to him and whispered in his ear, 'I love you.....asshole.”

They fell on the floor laughing, their bodies entangling. “We need to get you a ring,” he said.

“After this,” she said as she pulled him on top of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment